PRODUCT MANAGEMENT BULLETIN: PM–23-024
United States Department of Agriculture
Farm and Foreign Agricultural Services
Risk Management Agency
1400 Independence Avenue, SW
Washington, DC 20250-0801
All Risk Management Agency Field Offices
All Other Interested Parties
Prevented planting is a feature of many crop insurance plans that provides a payment to cover certain pre-plant costs for a crop that was prevented from being planted due to an insurable cause of loss. The Federal Crop Insurance Corporation (FCIC) published a Request for Information in the Federal Register on May 23, 2023, soliciting public comments on possible changes to the prevented planting provisions of the Common Crop Insurance Policy (CCIP), Basic Provisions. As part of the Request for Information, FCIC will host in-person and virtual listening sessions for public feedback on prevented planting.
FCIC is interested in public feedback on:
- Additional prevented planting coverage based on harvest prices in situations when harvest prices are higher than established prices initially set prior to planting;
- Requiring that acreage must have been planted to a crop, insured, and harvested, in at least 1 of the 4 most recent crop years;
- Additional levels of prevented planting coverage;
- Offering prevented planting coverage on contracted crops; and
- Other general prevented planting feedback or questions.
FCIC invites all stakeholders to respond to this Request for Information by:
- Submitting written comments through the close of business on September 1, 2023, at Federal Register: Request for Information and Stakeholder Listening Sessions on Prevented Planting; or
- Attending an in-person and/or virtual listening session to provide verbal comments. In-person listening sessions will be held in Arkansas, Arizona, California, Colorado, Indiana, Michigan, New Mexico, North Dakota, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, and Texas. Listening sessions will occur June through August 2023. More information about the listening sessions is available on the RMA website at www.rma.usda.gov.
For your convenience, a copy of the Request for Information is also attached.
December 31, 2023