INFORMATIONAL MEMORANDUM: PM–17-069
United States Department of Agriculture
Farm and Foreign Agricultural Services
Risk Management Agency
1400 Independence Avenue, SW
Washington, DC 20250-0801
All Risk Management Agency Field Office
All Other Interested Parties
Section 522(c)(1) of the Federal Crop Insurance Act (Act) allows the Risk Management Agency (RMA) to conduct activities or enter into contracts to carry out research and development for underserved agricultural commodities, including specialty crops. Section 522(c)(2)(B) of the Act requires RMA to consult with groups representing producers of the agricultural commodity that would be served by a policy that resulted from this research and development effort, prior to beginning any work, in order to determine the interest level or concerns of producers.
RMA is considering a study to research the feasibility and potential development of a Federal crop insurance program for hybrid canola seed.
RMA plans to issue a solicitation for a contract or utilize RMA personnel to research and develop a crop insurance product for hybrid canola seed. Prior to initiating this study, RMA seeks preparatory input from interested parties regarding the following information:
- Level of interest in participating in a hybrid canola seed Federal crop insurance program;
- Any producer concerns about development of a Federal crop insurance program for hybrid canola seed;
- Availability of any existing private insurance products covering hybrid canola seed;
- Types of risks, perils, or issues facing hybrid canola seed producers; and,
- Potential availability of any state, county, contract, or producer level data relating to yield and price.
- In addition to the above, RMA seeks any other information or relevant issues to be considered when carrying out research and determining the feasibility of a crop insurance program for hybrid canola seed.
Please address any input regarding the intent to research and develop a Hybrid Canola Seed Federal Crop Insurance Program by January 12, 2018, to Kale Horton, Product Design Branch at firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to:
Beacon Facility, Stop 0813
PO Box 419205
Kansas City, MO 64141-6205
This Informational Memorandum is for the purpose of transmitting information and expires on January 31, 2018.