Hurricane Florence Resources
The federal crop insurance program is designed to provide robust and reliable farm safety net, regardless the size and scope of weather disasters. The Risk Management Agency (RMA) works closely with the Approved Insurance Providers (AIPs) who sell and service the policies that producers purchase, and this commitment to customer service provides efficient loss adjustment and claims payments, even in times of major disasters like Florence.
- Resources for Producers
- Natural Disasters and Crop Insurance national fact sheet.
- Producers with coverage through the RMA administered federal crop insurance program should contact their crop insurance agent for issues regarding filing claims. Those who purchased crop insurance will be paid for covered losses. Producers should report crop damage within 72 hours of damage discovery and follow up in writing within 15 days. The Approved Insurance Providers, loss adjusters and agents are experienced and well trained in handling these types of events.
- As part of its commitment to delivering excellent customer service, RMA is working closely with AIPs that sell and service crop insurance policies to ensure enough loss adjusters will be available to process claims in the affected areas as quickly as possible.
- Resources for Agents and Approved insurance Providers
- MGR-18-013 - Additional Emergency Procedures for Crops Damaged by Hurricane Florence (Oct 1, 2018). This document authorizes additional emergency procedures that will streamline certain loss determinations on specific crops, accelerating the adjustment of losses and issuance of indemnity payments to crop insurance policyholders in impacted areas.
- MGR-18-011 - Emergency Procedures for Crops Damaged by Hurricane Florence (Sep 24, 2018). RMA authorizes the use of these emergency procedures applicable to all North Carolina and South Carolina counties impacted by Hurricane Florence.
- USDA Resources
USDA is prepared to provide food, emergency housing, community, as well as farmer and rancher assistance to individuals and small businesses affected by severe storms and flooding. We continue to work with states affected by severe storms and flooding regarding requests for various assistance, waivers and flexibilities in administering federal nutrition assistance programs. More information: USDA Hurricane Resources and Government-wide Resources