Kiwifruit Crop Insurance

Crop Insured

All commercially grown kiwifruit are insurable if:

  • You have a share in the crop;
  • Varieties are adapted to the area;
  • Grown under irrigated practice;
  • Grown on vines that have reached at least the fifth leaf year after being set out, unless otherwise provided in the Special Provisions;
  • Grown for the production of fresh kiwifruit; and
  • Grown in a vineyard that, if inspected, is considered acceptable by us.
Counties Available
Insurance is available in the state of California: Butte, Fresno, Kings, Madera, Placer, Sacramento, San Joaquin, Santa Clara, Stanislaus, Sutter, Tulare, and Yuba counties.
Causes of Loss

You are protected against the following:

  • Adverse weather conditions;
  • Earthquake;
  • Failure of irrigation water supply, if caused by an insured peril that occurs during the insurance period;
  • Fire, unless weeds and other forms of undergrowth have not been controlled or pruning debris has not been removed from the vineyard;
  • Insect damage and/or plant disease, unless you have insufficiently or improperly applied pest or disease control measures;
  • Volcanic eruption; and
  • An insufficient number of chilling hours to effectively break dormancy.
Insurance Period

For new insureds, coverage begins on or after December 1.

For carryover insureds coverage begins on the day immediately following the end of the insurance period for the previous crop year.

For all insureds, coverage ends with the earliest occurrence of one of the following:

  • Total destruction of the crop;
  • Harvest of the insured crop;
  • Final adjustment of loss;
  • Abandonment of the crop;
  • November 30 for Varietal Groups A and C; or
  • November 15 for Varietal Group B.
Important Dates
Sales Closing/Cancellation....................................November 20
Acreage Reporting....................................................January 15
Premium Billing.......................................................... August 15
Termination............................................................November 20
Coverage Levels and Premium Subsidies

Coverage levels range from 50 to 85 percent of your approved yield. Crop insurance premiums for basic and optional units are subsidized as shown in the table below. For example, if you have basic units or optional units and choose the 65 percent coverage level, your premium share would be 41 percent of the base premium.

Catastrophic Risk Protection (CAT) coverage is fixed at 50 percent of your approved yield and 55 percent of the price election. CAT is 100 percent subsidized with no premium cost to you. There is, however, an administrative fee of $655 per crop per county, regardless of the acreage.

Item Percent
Coverage Level 50 55 60 65 70 75 80 85
Premium Subsidy  67 64 64 59 59 55 48 38
Your Premium Share 33 36 36 41 41 45 52 62
Insurance Units

Basic units, optional units, and enterprise units are available. Additional premium subsidy is available for enterprise units.

Loss Example

Assume a 100 percent share in a unit containing 200 acres with a production guarantee per acre of 8,450 pounds at 65% coverage level. The applicable price election is $0.91 per pound. Your production guarantee for the unit at 100% price election is 1,690,000 pounds. Due to adverse weather your production to count is 1,400,000. Your total indemnity would be calculated as follows:


             200   Acres
x        8,450   Pounds
   1,690,000   Pounds guarantee

   1,690,000   Pounds
×        $0.91   Price election
 $1,537,900   Dollar guarantee


Loss Calculation

   1,400,000   Pounds
×        $0.91   Price election
 $1,274,000   Value of production

  $1,537,900  Total dollar guarantee
- $1,274,900  Total value production-to-count
     $263,000  Total indemnity payment

Price used above is for example only. Contact a crop insurance agent for current information.

Where to Buy Crop Insurance
All multi-peril crop insurance, including CAT policies, are available from private insurance agents. A list of crop insurance agents is available at all USDA service centers and on the RMA website at Agent Locator.

  National Office

  • USDA/RMA/Stop 0801/Room 2004-South
    1400 Independence Ave. SW
    Washington, DC 20250
  • Email:

Print to PDF

Print to PDF

Note: PDF version looks different than website but content is exactly the same.

This fact sheet gives only a general overview of the crop insurance program and is not a complete policy. For further information and an evaluation of your risk management needs, contact a crop insurance agent.
The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) prohibits discrimination in all its programs and activities on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, and where applicable, sex, marital status, familial status, parental status, religion, sexual orientation, genetic information, political beliefs, reprisal, or because all or a part of an individual’s income is derived from any public assistance program. (Not all prohibited bases apply to all programs.) Persons with disabilities who require alternative means for communication of program information (Braille, large print, audiotape, etc.) should contact USDA’s TARGET Center at 202-720-2600 (voice and TDD). To file a complaint of discrimination, complete, sign and mail a program discrimination complaint form, (available at any USDA office location or online at, to: United States Department of Agriculture; Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights; 1400 Independence Ave., SW; Washington, DC 20250-9410. Or call toll free at (866) 632- 9992 (voice) to obtain additional information, the appropriate office or to request documents. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing, or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay service at (800) 877-8339 or (800) 845-6136.