PRODUCT MANAGEMENT BULLETIN: PM–22-050
United States Department of Agriculture
Farm and Foreign Agricultural Services
Risk Management Agency
1400 Independence Avenue, SW
Washington, DC 20250-0801
All Risk Management Agency Field Offices
All Other Interested Parties
The Risk Management Agency (RMA) revised the Rainfall Index (RI) Common Policy and the Pasture, Rangeland, Forage (PRF) Crop Provisions for 2023 and succeeding crop years with the following changes:
- Add certified organic and transitional organic irrigated hay practices to PRF;
- Revise and add several definitions to match definitions in the Common Crop Insurance Policy (CCIP) Basic Provisions;
- Clarify definitions of “expected grid index,” “final grid index,” and “index interval” to state the index intervals are based on a 24-hour period determined by the data;
- Add language to allow corrections to insurance applications with missing social security numbers or employer identification numbers of a person with a substantial beneficial interest to match CCIP Basic Provisions;
- Include the 30-day appeal deadline for good farming practice determinations;
- Clarify the consequences of not providing acceptable records for policies with the intended use of haying or grazing; and
- Clarify livestock records must be maintained.
The following materials will be available by close of business today on the RMA website at www.rma.usda.gov/Policy-and-Procedure/Insurance-Plans/Rainfall-Index:
- Rainfall Index Plan Common Policy (23-RI)
- Pasture, Rangeland, Forage Crop Provisions (23-RI-PRF)
The Rainfall Index Insurance Standards Handbook (FCIC-18150) will be available at a later date.
Approved insurance providers must notify policyholders of these changes at least 30 days prior to the cancellation date, as required by the policy.
Interested producers should contact a crop insurance agent for further information. A list of agents can be found on the RMA website at www.rma.usda.gov/Information-Tools/Agent-Locator-Page.
Questions regarding these modifications may be directed to email@example.com.
December 31, 2023