Massachusetts,  New Jersey,  Rhode Island

Crop Insured

All cranberries in a county are insurable if:

  • A premium rate is provided by the actuarial document;
  • You have a share;
  • They are grown for harvest as cranberries; and
  • They are grown on bushes that have completed four growing seasons after the bushes were set out.
Counties Available

See your state’s actuarial documents at Actuarial Information Browser for insurable counties. Cranberries may be insurable in other counties by written agreement if specific criteria are met. Contact a crop insurance agent for more details.

Causes of Loss

You are protected against the following:

  • Adverse weather conditions, including hail, frost, freeze, wind, drought, and excess precipitation;
  • Failure of irrigation water supply, if caused by an insured peril during the insurance period;
  • Fire caused by an insured peril during the insurance period;
  • Insect damage and plant disease, except for insufficient or improper application of control measures; or
  • Wildlife.
Insurance Period

Coverage begins on November 21 and ends with the earliest occurrence of one of the following:

  • Total destruction of the crop;
  • Harvest of the crop;
  • Final adjustment of a claim;
  • Abandonment of the crop/orchard; or
  • November 20.
Important Dates

Sales Closing Date………… November 20, 2017

Production Reporting Date………… January 15, 2018

Acreage Reporting Date………… January 15, 2018

Premium Billing Date………… August 15, 2018

Duties in the Event of Damage or Loss

Notice of Loss - If a loss occurs notify your crop insurance agent:

  • Within 72 hours of initial discovery of damage;
  • If you previously gave notice of crop damage, you must also provide notice at least 15 days before the beginning of harvest to claim an indemnity; or
  • At least 3 days before the date harvest should have started if the crop will not be harvested.

Average APH Yield -Your average yield per acre based on your actual production history (APH) or other adjusted yields if appropriate.

Non-contiguous - Acreage of an insured crop that is separated from other acreage of the same insured crop by land that is neither owned by you nor rented by you for cash or a crop share. However, acreage separated by only a public or private right-of-way, waterway, or an irrigation canal is considered contiguous.

Production Guarantee - Number of Barrels Guaranteed per acre, determined by multiplying your average APH yield by the coverage level percentage you choose (from 50 to 75 percent).

Coverage Levels and Premium Subsidies

Coverage levels range from 50 to 75 percent of your average yield and are subsidized as shown below. For example, an average APH yield of 120 barrels per acre would result in a guarantee of 60 barrels per acre at the 50 percent coverage level.

Item Percent
Coverage Level
50 55 60 65 70 75
Premium Subsidy
67 64 64 59 59 55
Your Premium Share
33 36 36 41 41 45

Catastrophic Risk Protection (CAT) coverage is fixed at 50 percent of your average yield and 55 percent of the price election. The cost for CAT coverage is an administrative fee of $300.

Price Elections

An established price used to calculate your premium and indemnity. Contract pricing options are available for certified organic crops grown under guaranteed contracts. For price elections see your state’s actuarial documents at Crop Information Browser.

Insurance Units

Basic Unit - A basic insurance unit includes all your insurable acreage in the county in which you have 100-percent share or which is owned by one person and operated by another person on shares.

Optional Units - Optional units may be established if you can provide separate records for each unit, and the acreage is not insured under a CAT policy. Optional units may be established by Non-contiguous land (see definitions).

Loss Example

Assume cranberries with an approved yield of 120 barrels per acre, 65 percent coverage level, 100 percent share, and a one-acre basic unit.

120  Approved yield per acre
0.65 Coverage level
78 Acre guarantee
40 Production-to-count
38 Loss per acre
$28.10 Price election
$1,068 Indemnity/acre
Where to Buy Crop Insurance

All multi-peril crop insurance, including CAT policies, are available from private crop insurance agents. A list of crop insurance agents is available at all USDA service centers and on the Agent Locator Page.

  Regional Office Visit

  • Alexander Sereno, Director
    4405 Bland Road, Suite 160
    Raleigh, NC 27609-6293
  • Phone: 919-875-4880
  • Fax: 919-875-4915
  • Email:
This fact sheet gives only a general overview of the crop insurance program and is not a complete policy. For further information and an evaluation of your risk management needs, contact a crop insurance agent
The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) prohibits discrimination in all its programs and activities on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, and where applicable, sex, marital status, familial status, parental status, religion, sexual orientation, genetic information, political beliefs, reprisal, or because all or a part of an individual’s income is derived from any public assistance program. (Not all prohibited bases apply to all programs.) Persons with disabilities who require alternative means for communication of program information (Braille, large print, audiotape, etc.) should contact USDA’s TARGET Center at 202-720-2600 (voice and TDD). To file a complaint of discrimination, complete, sign and mail a program discrimination complaint form, (available at any USDA office location or online at, to: United States Department of Agriculture; Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights; 1400 Independence Ave., SW; Washington, DC 20250-9410. Or call toll free at (866) 632- 9992 (voice) to obtain additional information, the appropriate office or to request documents. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing, or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay service at (800) 877-8339 or (800) 845-6136.